Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Chicken and Broccoli Casserol






This is a favorite of me and my hubby. I realized that I could make all of it from Shelf Reliance products last week so I knew that I would soon need to try it. It turned out pretty good too.

This is the recipe normal:

2C water + 2 Chicken Boulon Cubes (or 2 cups of Chicken Stock)
3T Butter
2T Flour
 1 1/2 t Salt
 1 2/3 C Evaporated Milk
1 C cooked Chicken Shredded
1 pkg of Broccoli Cooked (about 10oz)

Cook rice in Water with Boulon Cubes or Chicken Stock. 



 Sauce: Melt Butter. Then add flour and salt. Simmer for a minute and then gradually stir in Evaporated Milk over Medium Heat. Bring to a boil until thicken. 
Combine rice, chicken, broccoli and sauce and ENJOY!

So I used Butter powdered instead of normal butter. I did 3 T of Butter with 3 T water since its suppose to be 'melted'. Then I made the Evaporated Milk which I got from the Shelf Reliance Website HERE. It is 1 1/2 C water and 9 T of Powdered Milk.  

I also used FD Broccoli. Which was super easy. I just put the broccoli in water and left it set for a few minutes while I was doing something else and then dumped it into a strainer to drain out the excess water.

Overall it tasted pretty good. I won't lie I wasn't very impressed with the Evaporated Milk Recipe.  It just wasn't as creamy as regular store bought Evaporated milk is. So I am going to keep looking for other alternatives and will let you know.

You can use FD Chicken for this recipe. I have a ton of chicken in the freezer so I actually used regular chicken for this recipe. I just boiled it and then use that water to cook the rice for my 'chicken Stock'

No comments:

Post a Comment