Monday, May 7, 2012

Apple Puff Pancakes

 We love to have breakfast for dinner so when I saw this recipe I had to try it. I found it on the Shelf Reliance Website HERE.
 

Ingredients

  • 1 1⁄2 c thrive apple slices, rehydrated
  • 2 T butter
  • 2 T thrive brown sugar
  • 4 T thrive whole egg powder, prepared with 1/2 c water
  • 3⁄4 c thrive white flour
  • 3⁄4 c prepared thrive powdered milk
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 3 T thrive white sugar
  • 1⁄4 t cinnamon
  • 1⁄2 t thrive iodized salt

Instructions

*Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
*In a saute pan, saute apple slices with butter, sugar, and cinnamon until tender.
*In a blender or food processor, whip eggs, flour, milk, and salt on high for 1 minute.
*Transfer hot apples to a greased 8x8 baking dish. Pour batter over apples.
*Bake for 15-20 minutes. Top with powdered sugar and maple syrup, if desired.

 I did not actually use FD apples as I am almost out and didn't want to use all of them when I have a party on Thursday. So I did use real apples that I pealed and sliced.

This is what it looked like out of the oven, it does look a little funny on the top..I kind of expected it to be all puffy like regular pancakes but it was more...ummm thick..fuller..I can't think of the word..They taste a lot like a Apple Pie. My hubby who isn't an Apple Pie type liked it, but I think I will definitely try it with other fruit minus the Cinnamon on another day. Definitely a keeper recipe.


This is my hubby's artwork with the powder sugar and put a couple of the apples of the top of it as a 'garnish'.


This is my plate afterwards..it was yummy!



So in my adventure of making this I totally screwed up the prepared powder milk. You would think that growing up drinking powder milk my whole life I would remember what I am doing..but yeah that and I have no idea how to read. So the recipe calls for 3/4 C of it. The canister gives you directions on how to make exactly 3/4 C. Well it says 3/4 C of water and 2 1/2T of Milk pwd...well I read it the other way around...yeah I was wondering why it wasn't very runny :) Yes I realized it while I was trying to mix it and threw it out and started it over and made it right this time :)

It also calls for regular butter but I decided to try my butter powder for the first time in place of regular butter. It will take me a bit to get use to it and learn how to rehydrate it. It is basically 1 part powder and 1 part water. Well I used 2 parts butter and 1 part water and it was still pretty runny. You can also add Veggie Oil to add flavor but since it was going into the sauce with other ingredients for cooking the apples I wasn't to worried about that part. I am excited to find more recipes to learn how to better use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment